Current:Home > MyCapitol rioter mistakenly released from prison after appeals court ruling, prosecutors say -Capitatum
Capitol rioter mistakenly released from prison after appeals court ruling, prosecutors say
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-07 07:19:45
The federal Bureau of Prisons mistakenly released an Iowa man from custody before he finished serving his 30-month sentence for storming the Senate chamber during a mob’s attack on the U.S. Capitol, Justice Department prosecutors said in a court filing this week.
Leo Christopher Kelly of Cedar Rapids was freed last Thursday after an appeals court agreed to throw out one of his convictions stemming from the Jan. 6, 2021, riot.
But prosecutors believe Kelly’s release was a mistake because he only served 11 months of his 30-month sentence. In a court filing Monday, they asked U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth for a hearing to address Kelly’s release.
The Bureau of Prisons told The Associated Press that Kelly was “inadvertently released” last week after a “misinterpretation of a court order.” The bureau’s statement doesn’t elaborate on the reason for the error, but it says that Kelly, 39, reported to a probation officer “as instructed” and remains free while awaiting a resentencing hearing.
Prosecutors also are asking the judge to schedule a hearing for resentencing now that Kelly’s only felony conviction has been tossed by the federal appeals court for the District of Columbia circuit.
In May 2023, a jury convicted Kelly of all seven counts in his indictment. One of his convictions was for a charge that he obstructed an official proceeding, the Jan. 6 joint session of Congress for certifying President Joe Biden ‘s electoral victory over Donald Trump.
In June, however, the U.S. Supreme Court limited the government’s use of that obstruction charge. The justices ruled 6-3 that the charge of obstructing an official proceeding must include proof that defendants tried to tamper with or destroy documents.
After the ruling, prosecutors and defense attorney Nicholas Smith joined in asking the appeals court to vacate Kelly’s obstruction conviction. His remaining convictions were for misdemeanor offenses.
Smith declined to comment Tuesday on prosecutors’ filing.
Lamberth sentenced Kelly in August 2023 and refused to release him pending the outcome of his appeal. The judge indicated last month that he was unlikely to reduce Kelly’s sentence.
A Bureau of Prisons database doesn’t specify where Kelly was serving his sentence when he was released last week.
A day before the Jan. 6 riot, Kelly drove to Washington, D.C., to attend then-President Trump’s “Stop the Steal” rally near the White House. He marched to the Capitol, joined other rioters in entering the building and made his way to the Senate floor.
Kelly approached the dais where then-Vice President Mike Pence had just presided over the Senate. He took videos of documents on desks — including a ballot sheet, handwritten notes and a script — before police cleared the rioters out of the chamber.
Approximately 1,500 people have been charged with Capitol riot-related federal crimes. More than 600 of them have been convicted and sentenced to a term of imprisonment ranging from a few days to 22 years.
veryGood! (734)
Related
- Illinois Gov. Pritzker calls for sheriff to resign after Sonya Massey shooting
- 2024 Emmys: Saoirse Ronan and Jack Lowden Make Red Carpet Debut as Married Couple
- Officer involved in Tyreek Hill traffic stop has history of complaints over use of force
- DJT shares pop after Donald Trump says 'I am not selling' Trump Media stake
- Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
- UFC 306 live updates: Time, streaming for O'Malley vs. Dvalishvili card
- Five reasons Dolphins' future looks grim if Tua Tagovailoa leaves picture after concussion
- Tropical Storm Ileana makes landfall on Mexico’s Sinaloa coast after pounding Los Cabos
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Tropical Storm Ileana makes landfall on Mexico’s Sinaloa coast after pounding Los Cabos
Ranking
- Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
- What game is Tom Brady broadcasting in Week 2? Where to listen to Fox NFL analyst
- 3 dead, 2 injured in Arizona tractor-trailer crash
- 2024 Emmys: Hannah Montana's Moisés Arias Proves He's Left Rico Behind
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Open Up the 2004 Emmys Time Capsule With These Celeb Photos
- Travis Hunter shines as Colorado takes care of business against Colorado State: Highlights
- Emmys best-dressed: Stars winning the red carpet so far, including Selena Gomez, Anna Sawai
Recommendation
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
Emmys best-dressed: Stars winning the red carpet so far, including Selena Gomez, Anna Sawai
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Breakup Song
‘The Life of Chuck’ wins the Toronto Film Festival’s People’s Choice Award
British golfer Charley Hull blames injury, not lack of cigarettes, for poor Olympic start
Man pleads no contest in 2019 sword deaths of father, stepmother in Pennsylvania home
Florida State's latest meltdown leads college football's Week 3 winners and losers
A.J. Brown injury update: Eagles WR out for 'Monday Night Football' matchup vs. Falcons